The most often overlooked but incredibly effective tactic you are not using in your job search? Undoubtedly, it’s the cold networking email.
Wondering what people really mean when they talk about networking? You’re not alone. Most people just don’t know that many people!
So how do these networking ninjas do it? Simple! If they don’t have a connection, they create them. Sounds challenging right? It’s not. And you too can become a networking expert.
1. Hone in on your objective. Before you start sending out emails requesting informational meetings, be very clear on what you are trying to accomplish.
2. Create a target list. Know who you are emailing and why, and keep track. Nothing says “I’m totally disorganized” like accidentally asking the same person to connect twice.
3. Create a template that is to the point, light, and authentic. When asking someone for a few minutes of their time, you don’t need to tell them your life story. Create a 3 to 4 line email that quickly gets to the point.
4. Keep your ask low commitment. Do not ask strangers for lunch. I recommend requesting a 15-20 min phone call or offering to buy them a cup of coffee.
5. Don’t be scared to attach your resume! This will give your connection a frame of reference for the conversation. Make sure your resume is ready for prime time – error free, targeted, achievement-driven, and polished.
Not sure how to start? I can help. Book a 15-minute call today to find out about my career launch coaching.